Yesterday the Maine legislature passed LD 1075 An Act to Promote Community-based Energy. Governor Baldacci has expressed tremendous support for this program and will most likely approve the legislation.
The program has a sunset date of December 31, 2015 and includes some innovative approaches to supporting local ownership of wind energy development. Here is a brief summary of the major points in the legislation:
- Program cap of 50MW with a cap on each individual project of 10MW
- Each project must have a resolution of support from the local community
- A participating project may choose one of the following incentives
- a long term power purchase contract, or
- receipt of 150% of the value of the renewable energy credits
- Authorizes the public utility commission to direct investor-owned utilities to enter in long-term contracts with program participants and provide an option for consumer-owned utilities to do so
- Creates a green power offer that may be purchased by consumers
For more information the Maine Legislature has the full text of the bill followed by an in-depth summary. We will continue to update on the program as it is implemented.