Windustry promotes progressive renewable energy solutions and empowers communities to develop and own wind energy as an environmentally sustainable asset. Through member supported outreach, education and advocacy we work to remove the barriers to broad community ownership of wind energy.
Primary Duties and Responsibilites
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Policy Analyst will conduct research and analysis, formulate, communicate and advocate positions to advance understanding of community wind energy and renewable energy technologies, policies and markets.
- Participate in the development and evaluation of legislative and regulatory initiatives promoting or supporting Windustry community wind and clean energy policies and positions.
- Work with Windustry colleagues, partner organizations and other stakeholders to ensure that the legislative and regulatory processes and procedures provide for the consideration and advancement of community wind energy.
- Provide support for interactions with key legislative representatives and staff; utilities and other energy suppliers; the media; state legislators and staff; state and federal regulatory agency staff to advance policy and program goals.
- Provide public outreach and speaking support by representing Windustry at various public forums that range from small town meetings, to county and state fairs to legislative hearings and large national conferences.
Research and information management
- Develop and maintain current knowledge of wind project development issues, incentives, economic benefits of local ownership and policy options for local ownership of wind turbines.
- Understand and communicate business models that are usable for community/locally owned wind projects as well as other distributed generation.
- Work with Windustry staff to manage content, organization and information maintenance for all Windustry’s extensive online resources.
- Develop and draft program materials such as fact sheets, media correspondence, newsletter articles, action plans, comments, etc
- Assist Executive Director in coordination of research efforts, engaging Windustry staff and/or outside experts to develop policy approaches to advance community wind at local, state and federal levels.
- Work with Executive Director and Development Director to construct proposals to prospective funders.
- Assist in training new Windustry staff to respond to phone and e-mail hotline, answering constituent questions or referring them to other resources.
- Participate in planning and execution of major Windustry efforts such as the conferences and State Fair exhibits.
- Participate in staff meetings, and track and report on time spent on various responsibilities, activities and accomplishments.
- Other related duties or special initiatives as assigned.
- Five years experience in renewable energy, community organizing/advocacy, or project management, and bachelor’s degree in a related field required, or two years experience with advanced degree in related field.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, are required.
- Demonstrated ability to translate general program goals into specific action plans, execute action plans, and evaluate results.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and communicate technical information.
- Demonstrated ability in creative problem-solving.
- Demonstrated ability to engage and communicate effectively with a broad spectrum of personalities and backgrounds.
- Experience with outreach to rural communities and citizens a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of applications.
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits. Compensation will be based on qualifications and experience. To apply, please send a resume and letter of interest to:
David Tidball, Office Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 2105 First Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55404 by August 3, 2010.
Windustry is an equal opportunity employer. We actively encourage people of color to apply for this position and all positions at Windustry.