In general, a "successful" wind project is one that makes financial sense.
Five things are needed if your wind project is going to be successful; they can be remembered with the acronym CEWPI (pronounced QP):
- C for Community support, or at least not Community resistence,
- E for minimal Environmental impact, meaning that the project isn't located in a wetland, or close to an airport landing path, or close to a cell tower, or residential buildings, or in an endangered species habitat, etc.,
- W for a good Wind resource,
- P for a Purchaser of the electricity at a good rate. (If you will be using the electricity yourself, then you are the purchaser.)
- I for an economical ability to Interconnect the project to the purchaser.