Windustry Summer Internships
BACKGROUND: Windustry is a non-profit based in Minneapolis. Our mission is to promote sustainable energy solutions and empower communities to develop and own clean energy assets. As an independent voice acting in support of communities, we work, through education, outreach and advocacy, to advance broad community commitment to renewable energy.
To learn more about Windustry, visit www.windustry.org.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Windustry’s summer interns will work primarily in two focus areas, research/communications and event coordination. Applicants are invited to express interest in one or both internship positions. Please send only one application and indicate in your cover letter which position(s) interest you.
The Research Assistant/Communications intern will assist program staff with research, writing and web site and social media. Duties include:
- Responding to information requests
- Updating and creating website content
- Digital Asset Management of photographs, logo/identity graphics, and publications
- Researching policy and practices supportive to community renewable energy
- Drafting and editing written communications such as policy analyses, case studies, newsletters and press releases
- Updating a database of community wind projects
- Other projects as assigned.
The Events Coordinator intern will be primarily focused on planning, managing and staffing Windustry’s Wind Energy Center at the Minnesota State Fair’s EcoExperience. This intern must enjoy working with a wide array of people and have the skills for organizing a multi-day event. Duties include:
- Creating and refining display materials and hands-on activities for the exhibit
- Recruiting, coordinating and managing 90-100 volunteers
- Designing a volunteer training program
- Coordinating exhibit set-up and tear-down
- Other projects as assigned.
A SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT WILL:
- Be a recent college graduate or graduate student
- Be available to work through Labor Day
- Have a background in environmental studies, policy, engineering, natural resources, economics, communications, journalism or related fields
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for learning about renewable energy issues and interest in sustainable and energy issues
- Have excellent written and oral communications skills and enjoy independent research
- Be experienced using Microsoft Office; Experience with content management systems, NationBuilder, GIS (including ArcView), or InDesign a plus
- Possess strong organizational and leadership skills
- Be self-motivated and able to meet deadlines
Summer interns will be paid $10.00/hour.
DURATION & APPOINTMENT: This is a temporary full time position, lasting approximately 3-4 months and 32/hours in a 4-day work week. Start date is flexible May/June; however applicants must be available to work through Labor Day.
HOW TO APPLY: Applications will be accepted until Mon, May 1, 2017. Send cover letter and resume to info9(at)windustry.org with “Research/Communications” and/or “Events” as the subject line with respect to your interest.
OTHER: We offer a friendly, casual work environment. We are located close to several bus lines, one block north of Franklin Avenue and one block west of LaSalle/Blaisdell Avenue in Minneapolis.
Windustry is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to hire without discrimination based on race, creed, religion, sex, color, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, familial status, age, disability, marital status or status with regard to public assistance.